Monday, May 18, 2009

Storms

I love to take pictures of storms, especially lightning. Saturday, we went to C'ville so I could get a few supplies for baking. On our way back, we noticed the ominous sky. Going north, you could see how wicked the sky was and see all of the lightning. I told E that we just might beat it home. Well, we did, just barely. Coming up 15 we could see the bow in the clouds (the front of the storm) and it was just north of the house, but we were definitely going to get something. I tried to take pictures of it going up the driveway, but E was driving so fast and wouldn't slow down. Forgive the horrible pics, but you can at least get the gist of it.

This is as we were just turning in the driveway. You can see the edge of the storm. Where it changes from light to dark is the edge.

Here's another shot coming up the driveway. E was really flooring it! The dark clouds were so wicked looking. I was looking for rotation, but never saw anything.

Here is another shot coming up. The storm is already moving closer.
This is where the curve starts. The front was probably just above town at this time.


When we got home, we jumped out of the truck and unloaded it. I was able to get this shot in. I wish I had time to adjust the lighting and all, but I wasn't sure how fast the storm was moving. You can really see how wicked the clouds were.

We didn't really get any close lightning with this storm. The worst of it was just north of us. We did, however, get torrential downpours. It poured down for three hours and never stopped raining until Sunday morning. Our driveway was washed out in several spots and water was pouring out of the conduit pipe underneath the electrical meter. Something needs to be done about that because that can cause some serious problems! I wasn't too impressed with the storm, though. I was just in awe over the look of the clouds. I wish I had been home even 15 minutes earlier so I could've gotten some really good pics. Maybe next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment