Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Egg Drop Soup

Oh yummy! I love egg drop soup. I've tried making it at home before with just chicken broth and eggs and I've even used a flavor packet from the grocery store, but this recipe is the bomb. I hope you enjoy it. E and I certainly did.

Egg Drop Soup
adapted from Simply Recipes

3 eggs, lightly beaten
4 cups of chicken stock
1 Tbsp cornstarch
1/2 tsp grated fresh ginger
1 Tbsp soy sauce
3 green onions or chives, chopped
1/4 tsp of pepper
3/4 cup of sliced mushrooms (I used baby portobello, but shiitake would be really good).

1. Reserve 1/2 cup of chicken stock and mix with cornstarch until dissolved.

2. Place the remaining chicken stock, ginger, soy sauce, green onions, mushrooms, and pepper in a pot and bring to a boil. Add the cornstarch mixture and stir. Reduce heat to a simmer.

3. Slowly pour in the beaten eggs while stirring the soup. The egg will spread out into ribbons. Turn off the heat and garnish with a few more chopped onions or chives. Serve immediately.

This was even really good re-heated the next day. It's a definite keeper! I ate mine with a grilled ham and cheese sandwich. This would be great with an egg roll.

1 comment:

  1. This looks Wonderful!!! I've been hunting for a good recipe for a Long time!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete