Wednesday, March 4, 2009

The. Best. Banana Bread. EVER!

Okay. I made this banana bread Sunday from I recipe I saw in Southern Living. I changed it around a little bit, one because I didn't have any nuts on hand, and two because I just didn't read the entire recipe! Nonetheless it turned out FABULOUS!!! E said I had to get rid of it because he couldn't stop eating it! I only have one bread pan (I know, it's a sin!) so I made one loaf and one in a cake pan.
This pic was taken not too long after I got it out of the oven. The next day there wasn't much left! I ended up putting the loaf in the freezer so sticky hands wouldn't eat it all up!
Coconut-topped Banana Bread
adapted from Southern Living

Bread:
3/4 cups butter, softened
1 (8 oz) pkg cream cheese, softened
2 cups sugar
2 large eggs
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 4 medium)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
**1 cup chopped pecans, toasted** Optional
1. Beat butter and cream cheese at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating just until blended after each addition.
2. Combine flour and next 3 ingredients; gradually add to butter mixture, beating at low speed just until blended. Stir in bananas, pecans, and vanilla. Spoon batter into 2 greased and floured 8 x 4-inch loafpans.
3. Bake at 350 degrees F for 1 hour or until a long wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean and sides pull away from pan. Remove from oven and place on wire rack.
Coconut Topping:
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup milk
1 cup sweetened flake coconut
2 tsp vanilla
**1 cup chopped, toasted pecans** Optional
1. When there is about 15 minutes left for the bread in the oven, stir together butter, sugars, and milk in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Stir in coconut, pecans, and vanilla. Spread hot mixture over banana bread when it comes out of the oven.
2. **I skipped this part but it would be great!** Broil loaves 5 1/2 inches from heat for 2 - 3 minutes or just until topping starts to lightly brown.
3. Cool in pans on wire racks for 20 minutes. Remove from pans and cool 30 minutes on wire racks before slicing.
This WILL NOT last long. It is soooo delicious. I didn't read all the way through the directions at first so I didn't toast the topping. It is still yummy! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment