Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Cranberry Bars

I wanted to actually bake a Raspberry, Walnut, & Chocolate Bar, but soon realized I had no raspberry preserves nor walnuts. Therefore, I had to compromise. I didn't think my Spiced Blueberry Jam or the Banana-Mango Jam would work to good with this. Since I already had the crust in the oven I had to come up with something. So....I pulled out a can of whole cranberry sauce and some pecans. This bar scared me when I first took it out of the oven because I didn't think it was done, even though the top was nicely browned. Everything still seemed so soft. After it completely cooled, it all fell into place. This actually turned out to be a good bar and a somewhat healthy one at that (unless you want to take into consideration all of the sugar!) Here is the recipe and some not-to-pretty pics. Sorry. I really, really need to get a good camera.

Cranberry Bars

Crust:
1 1/2 cups flour
3/4 cup butter, softened
1/3 cup sugar (I used white, but you could very well use brown)

1 can whole cranberry sauce

Topping:
1/4 cup flour
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup pecans, chopped
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Directions:
1. Mix 1 1/2 cups flour, butter, and 1/3 cup of brown sugar with electric mixer at low speed; mixture will be crumbly. Press onto bottom of ungreased 13 x 9-inch baking pan.

2. Bake at 350 degrees F for 18 to 20 minutes, or until lightly browned. Let cool for 10 minutes. Spread cranberry sauce over crust.

3. Mix 1/4 cup flour, 1 cup brown sugar, eggs, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Spread batter over cranberry layer. Sprinkle with pecans and chocolate chips.

4. Bake at 350 degrees F for 18 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool completely. Cut into bars.





No comments:

Post a Comment