Friday, February 20, 2009

Cranberry-Orange Biscuits

Last night I made the Coconut Lemon Bars with Chocolate Cookie Crust. They certainly looked nice, but I was still unsure about the taste. I made a small pan so we could sample it. I didn't put nearly enough lemon on it. The 1/2 sheet that I made for the restaurant had more lemon. E and I were still undecided. I took the bars by the restaurant at lunch today and Randy cut me off a piece to try. They were actually good! The crust was nice and moist and there was just the right amount of lemon. The sample pan I made had a dryer crust, so I obviously baked it too long. The moist crust makes all of the difference.
I have finally remembered to grab my recipe for these yummy biscuits. These are so good hot out of the oven on a cold morning.
Cranberry-Orange Biscuits
Adapted from BH&G
Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp granulated sugar
2 tsps baking powder
1 tsp finely shredded orange peel
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup vanilla yogurt
1 Tbsp fresh orange juice
1 Tbsp milk
1 recipe Orange Glaze
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Ina a bowl stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, orange peel, salt, and baking soda. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles course crumbs. Add dried cranberries; toss until well mixed. Make a well in center of the flour mixture. Add yogurt, orange juice, and milk all at once. Using a fork, stir just until moistened.
2. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead dough by folding and gently pressing it for 10 to 12 strokes or until dough is nearly smooth. Pat or lightly roll dough until 1/2 inch thick. Cut dough with a floured 2 1/2-inch biscuit cutter, rerolling scraps as necessary and dipping cutter into flour between cuts.
3. Place dough circles 1 inch apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake about 10 minutes or until golden. Remove biscuits from baking sheet; cool 5 minutes. Drizzle with Orange glaze. Serve warm.
Orange Glaze
Ingredients:
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp finely shredded orange peel
3 to 4 tsps orange juice or more if needed
In a small bowl, combine ingredients to reach glazing consistency.









No comments:

Post a Comment