Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Coffee Lovers' Coffee Cake

Finally!!! A day late and a dollar short. Actually, more like a week late and well, I'd hate to think how much short. :)

Here is the oh-so-wonderful coffee cake I've told you about. D-LISH! YUM! Yumm-o anyone?? I finally remembered to take a picture of them. I've been so busy with work and work and work and, need I go on? I've been baking brookies like crazy and trying out some new recipes. When I'm not baking I'm either at my full time job, messing with the dumb turkeys (stupid turkeys!!), or working outside.

I have FINALLY quit working at Fabio's. No more for me!! Yay! I did, however, tell them that I'll help out every now and then. I sure hope the won't need my help. Also, since it's Spring, I've been doing a lot of things outside. I've gotten all of my Spring veggies planted and started seeds for most of my Summer and Fall veggies and herbs. So can't wait!! E mowed the grass for the first time this year over the weekend. Sigh. I love the smell of fresh cut grass.

The weather has been beautiful, minus the rain on Friday and Saturday. The temps have been in the 60s to 70. I actually wore shorts Sunday! If I think about it, and I emphasize on "if", I'll take a pic of the green-ness (is that even a word??) of the farm. It's too late to get a pic of my plum tree flowering because all of the flowers have already fallen. The stinky pear tree is flowering, though, and the redbuds are starting. Anyway. Here is the recipe I've been promising:

Coffee Lovers' Coffee Cake

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 rounded tsp instant coffee granules
2 cups firmly packed brown sugar (I prefer dark)
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter, cut into pieces*
8 oz sour cream
1 tsp baking soda
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 cup chopped pecans, toasted

1. Combine the flour and coffee granules in a large bowl. Add brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt; stir well. Cut in butter w/a pastry blender until crumbly. *I soften the butter just a little bit and use my hands to blend it in. Press half of the crumb mixture into a lightly greased 9" square or 13x9" baking pan; set aside.

2. Combine sour cream and baking soda, stirring well. Add remaining crumb mixture, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened. Add egg, stirring gently to combine. Pour sour cream mixture over crumb crust in pan. Sprinkle with pecans.

3. Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 - 50 minutes. Cool and cut into squares.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment