Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Broccoli Salad

I absolutely love this broccoli salad. It's better than anyone's I've tasted and way better than what you can get at the store. I have had some good broccoli salad, don't get me wrong, but this one has the flavors I love. I made it Sunday to go with dinner.


Broccoli Salad

1 large bunch fresh broccoli florets, cut or broken up small
1 cup raisins
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1 cup shredded carrots
1/4 cup chopped onion
8 crisp fried bacon - broken up

Dressing:
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup vinegar
2 Tbsp sugar



I like to shred my own carrots and cheese. There can be some yucky stuff in the packaged ones.

I cheated with the bacon because I was in a hurry.


Place all of the ingredients from the broccoli to the bacon together in a large bowl.



Stir together the dressing ingredients in a small bowl.





Pour dressing over veggies, etc. in bowl.






Mix everything together well. Enjoy!

This already makes a large amount. I've been eating this for lunch and dinner the past couple of days and we still have a couple of days worth left. If you're having a big BBQ or party, you can easily double this recipe.
If you're daring, you can make changes to this. You can add nuts, substitute dried cranberries for the raisins, use a different type of cheese, use turkey bacon, add apples, or use different vinegars. I used white vinegar this time but have used cider vinegar and red wine vinegar. Either vinegar makes a delicious dressing, but I think cider vinegar is my favorite.
YUM!





No comments:

Post a Comment