Monday, April 20, 2009

Carrot Cake

I have been terrible about keeping up with this blog this month. I just completely forget about it! I'll try to be better. I promise. For Easter, I made this yummy carrot cake. I got the recipe from http://www.thepioneerwoman.com/. It is good, trust me. I made a regular one and E took it to work where everyone gobbled it up. I then decided to make a lower-fat version for us. It tasted fabulous, but I made one mistake. I substituted all of the oil with applesauce. I should've used SOME oil, maybe 1/4 cup. If you make this low-fat, please, please, please use some oil. The texture was a little rubbery-ish. Very edible, but just didn't like the texture.


Cake:

2 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable oil (I use canola)
4 eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
2 cups grated carrots

Icing:

1 stick butter, softened
1 pkg (8 oz) cream cheese
1 pound (16 oz) powdered sugar
1 cups pecans, finely chopped
2 tsp vanilla

Cake:
Mix together the sugar, oil, and eggs in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, sift together flour, salt, baking soda and powder, and cinnamon. Add to egg mixture, stirring until combined. Stir in carrots. Pour into a greased and floured pan (I used two rounds). Bake at 350 degrees F for 25 - 50 minutes, depending on which pan you use, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes in pans, then remove to a wire rack. Cool completely.

Icing:
In a large bowl, cream butter and cream cheese. Add sugar and vanilla and blend; mix in nuts. Frost cooled carrot cake.

Enjoy.


I have several recipes to post, hopefully, in the next few coming days.

No comments:

Post a Comment